PAUSE FOR REFLECTION
Now that you are familiar with the main characteristics of each of the 5 Chairs, next time you are triggered by someone or something, I invite you to remember this:
YOU ALWAYS HAVE A CHOICE!
You always have a choice about HOW to respond. Stop and think. Then choose the most appropriate and productive behavior for the situation.
To help you practice your CHOICE-MAKING ask yourself these questions on a regular basis:
- How am I feeling and what do I need right now?
- What are my choices right now?
- Am I in control of my emotions, or are they controlling me?
- What impact am I having on the situation Iu2019m in and the people around me?
- Am I willing to have a difficult conversation to clear the tension in the air? If not, why not?
- What would my best self do in that situation?
- What might people be saying about me at the moment?